Thursday, May 21, 2009

I'm Not An Actor, I Play A Cop In Real Life

Can you imagine if police officers, firefighters, paramedics, teachers were the "pros" we admired instead of some dumbass, under-educated actor? Or instead of some of the half-wit, shoe-endorsing sports morons we so look up to? Try this one on for size...


"Hi, I'm Officer Danny Deanza of the Los Angeles Police Department. As a traffic officer, I talk to lots of people. So my breath has to be MINTY FRESH! That's why I use Extra gum."

or
Show a scene of a cop changing at his locker:
"After I hard day at work, I like to take the edge off with a few buddies." CUT TO A VIDEO ARCADE SETTING "That's why 4 out of 5 cops prefer Dave & Buster's for a great meal, cool beer and fun games...."

Probably what we should do is keep stats like baseball players. If people started to understand all the paperwork and nonsense we go through, the stats would sound pretty significant. We count felonies, misdemeanors, traffic citations, parking cites, even assists. Some days a guy could be well on his way to a hat trick or triple double!

In a 12 hours/ 28-day deployment period, an officer works 13 days with 15 off. Now it might sound like a lot of days off, but we have court dates, traffic court and other important nonsense to contend with. For goodness sake, 15 days off a month...I don't know how people do it with just Saturday and Sunday off. God bless you all.

Anywho, I am all for seeing this commercial:

"I'm not an actor, I'm a cop. But I've done some moonlighting as an actor to put my kid through USC. That's why I drink Starbucks Coffee! Starbucks is the fresh pick-me-up I need to finish a 12-hour shift, sleep in my car for 2 hours then sit on set someplace in the Valley on my Harley-Davidson working a sweet security job for 10 hours to pay off that house in Big Bear. Starbucks. The coffee that keeps you going."

No comments:

Post a Comment