Thursday, April 30, 2009

And Who Do You Work For?

There is just no way to answer this question. I started this blog partly in answer to that. And partly to keep my wife from having to listen to so many of the stories, jokes and sheer lunacy that I have to deal with as a police officer.

Oh, it's not just me. There are nearly ten thousand others in the same boat with me. We are part of one of the most well-known police agencies in the world. With the pride comes pain, with the pay comes a payout.

Not that I'm complaining...at least not right now. But from day one at the academy they tell you never to let on to people that you are a police officer. People give you a funny look. You can hear the judgement wheels cranking in their head. The eyes give it away. "This guy probably beats people up every day!" they might be thinking. "Are you carrying a gun?" they want to ask. One guy straight up said, "Is it all true about you guys profiling people or what?" A question like that says his mind is made up!

I used to horse around and say I worked for the city, or that I was a writer or that I conducted citizen impact studies (you like that one?) but who freakin' cares? "I'm a cop." I say. Get it over with I'm thinking. Uh-oh...there goes the eyes...

"What city?" they ask.
"L.A."
"Oh, you're LAPD."
"Yup."
"Oh...hey, are there really neighborhoods like that street on Training Day?"
"Yeah. That street is called Palmwood. It's in The Jungles...Baldwin Village. I worked in that area for a few years."
"Damn, that must be pretty messed up!" they say.
"Oh, don't worry, other officers I know work in a lot worse places than that. It is what it is."
"Oh...hey, are you packin'?"
"Whaaat?"

You can see where this is going. One thing I can say is that the media can help us out or help us OUT. And public perception can be huge on this job. More on that later, but for now, here is a thought:

We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.
-Will Rogers, US humorist & showman (1879 - 1935)

No comments:

Post a Comment